Saturday, January 01, 2011

what's another year

I'm finding it's increasingly difficult to keep up with all the music "out there" and the fact that in November Rough Trade (thanks guys) put together their 100 best albums of the year (count 'em) didn't help. I've already spent hours on these and still haven't got through more than about six or seven...

So in compiling this year's Best Of lists I'm more conscious than ever that there is a load of music a) which I haven't had the chance to do justice to by listening to more than once or twice (to whit KORT: Invariable Heartache, I Am Kloot: Sky At Night), b) which has shown up on my radar but I haven't got round to listening to at all or c) of which I remain blissfully unaware.

So for what it's worth...

TOP 20 ALBUMS (with Spotify links where such exist)
5. Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
20. Best Coast – Crazy For You 

Should you be so inclined you can also dip into Spotify for my top 30 tracks of 2010. Not many of them appear on the albums listed above.

As always, further recommendations, violent disagreements and such like are most welcome...

4 comments:

Cocktails said...

Happy New Year Hoops (ok, bit late I know).

I am embarrassed to say that I am so not in touch with current music that I am only familiar with around three of your top 20 - and you could probably guess which ones! But since your no.1 is something I've got in permanent position by the kitchen CD player I feel that this is vaguely acceptable.

Now I'm back and settling into non-holiday mode I'll endeavour to have a listen to your Spotify playlist. I'm sure it will cheer me up.

Hoops Hooley said...

Hello Cocktails. Good to hear from you. Glad you're back in circulation. (Does this qualify as "circulation"?).

I confess that quite a few of these are albums I only became aware of through the Rough Trade list. As you say the Fannies definitely came up with the goods this year (maybe their best since Songs from Northern Britain??)

I'd be interested to hear what you think of any you get a chance to hear. Assuming they're not among the three you already know, you might find the Folds/Hornby to your taste and the Corinne B/Rae is surprisingly good, in my humble etc etc...

...Or if you've any recommendations of your own?

Hope you have a happier 2011!

Cocktails said...

Well, I'm kind of back. I'd like to be back more but time is already flying out the window.

However, I have been listening to your playlist and I'm really enjoying it. The songs by Warpaint, David Byrne and Hexicon are particularly good, and so is Corrine Bailey Rae (suprisingly!). I am very pleased though that you have finally identified for me a song that I keep hearing on 6Music but never hear the name of - Darwin Deez. It's great!

Hoops Hooley said...

Glad you approve!

Darwin Deez's album was on the Rough Trade best of the year list. I'm afraid I struggled with it a bit. There's pretty much only him, a guitar and a drum machine all the way through which makes it really samey. This track is great though I agree.