Tricky @ the Barbican, 6th October
What we learned tonight:
- Most of Tricky's best material appeared on his first album
- Although Tricky's name is on the tickets, it's female vocalist Veronica Coassolo who does most of the leg work
- In fact, for a lot of the time, he stands in the dark with his back to the audience
- He does raise a few eyebrows though with covers of "Love Cats" by the Cure and Kylie's "Slow"
- And he does get warmed up a bit later on and definitely breaks sweat towards the end
- This kind of music works better in venues where you can stand up
- Support band, the Wild Beasts, are not very wild
- Nor are they beasts
- They're good though
- But they've got a song that's a bit like Bohemian Rhapsody but is three times longer
- And that falsetto voice gets a bit waring
- And they would work better in a smaller venue too...
Why we like him: