Saturday, August 02, 2008

too much music!


OK, I need to stop buying CDs.

The problem is: I hear a song on the radio, or I go to a gig, and I remember how good that band is/was and get out my copy of a CD of theirs or a scratchy old LP from my record rack and listen to it a few times.

Consequently, I've now got a stack of CDs which I've bought recently, or have turned up in magazines, and which I haven't really listened to properly, viz.

  • Paul Weller: 22 Dreams
  • Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes
  • Last Shadow Puppets: The Age of the Understatement
  • Bjork: Vespertine
  • Rough Guide to Klezmer Revival
  • Soul II Soul: The Classic Singles 88-93
  • Aimee Mann: Lost In Space
  • three compilation CDs from The Word magazine
  • three compilations from Songlines magazine
So I hereby resolve to buy no more new music until I've given this lot a good going through. No shopping till September...

2 comments:

Cocktails said...

You must absolutely listen to those records. The ones by Fleet Foxes, Paul Weller and Soul II Soul are particularly good, and you can never not enjoy a bit of klezma.

Having said that, I do know what you're going through. I'm kind of drowning under my own recent spending sessions as well. I was thinking of adding the Last Shadow Puppets record to that pile too - you must let me know if it's any good.

Hoops Hooley said...

Thanks Cocktails. If only all these bands would just stop making new records until we've all caught up...

I like what I hear so far with the Last Shadow Puppets. I think Alex Turner could be with us for the long haul. If he can rattle out a side project like this at the age of 22, the musical world would appear to be his oyster.