Tuesday, December 06, 2005

what's another year?

Now we're into December, all self-respecting music critics (even pretend ones) need to nail their colours to the mast and compile a Top 10 Albums list for the year. So...

1. Stars of CCTV/Hard-Fi
2. Weightlifting/Trash Can Sinatras*
3. Funeral/Arcade Fire
4. Magic Numbers/Magic Numbers
5. A Girl Called Eddy/A Girl Called Eddy*
6. We Have Sound/Tom Vek
7. Demon Days/Gorillaz
8. You Are The Quarry/Morrissey*
9. Nashville/Josh Rouse
10.Mighty Rearranger/Robert Plant And The Strange Sensation

* Strictly speaking, released in 2004 but I bought them early in 2005 so I'm going to say that they qualify for my 2005 list.

More lists to follow...

3 comments:

Michael Loran said...

I've only got mozza's one. Of course I picked up on the Johnny Logan reference: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.hart/lyricsl/logan.html. Big fan.

Wanderer said...

Good choices! Hard to Beat (Hard-Fi) is my No. 1 song of the year. Stars of CCTV is not my no. 1 album but def in the top 10!

Anonymous said...

The ONLY album of 2005 for me was, of course, Alabama 3's Outlaw!
But also - Hayseed Dixie, Loretta Lynn (was that this year?), Calexico/Iron
& Wine, Jeffrey Lewis' City & Eastern Songs, Naked Ruby...
Gig/s of the year? Alabama3 every time (but especially in Prague), plus
Willie Nelson at Shepherds Bush.